This recipe uses the following tea:
CITRUS SPLASH (visit the tea boutique)
This recipe was Inspired by: Whole Foods Blueberry Spelt Muffins
Cranberries will last quite a while as long as they’re kept dry. If you’re like us then you have some kicking around that didn’t make it into the Christmas cranberry sauce. We have just the solution to your cranberry surplus and it comes in muffin form. In this recipe we’ve used the Citrus Splash because the tarte flavour of the cranberries go so well with the citrus flavours. Feel free to play around with different teas (or fruits if the cranberries were all eaten).
Citrus Splash Cranberry Spelt Muffins
Yields: 1 dozen regular sized or 6 extra large muffins
The classic blueberry cranberry muffin gets an update with spelt flour and a flavor boost from orange juice and zest.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) softened butter or canola oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2/3 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tsp Citrus Splash tea leaves
- 2 cups fresh blueberries or a combination of 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries and 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add the Citrus Splash tea to the ½ cup orange juice. Let soak to soften the dried fruits, set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Butter a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter or oil and sugar. Stir in applesauce, eggs, orange juice/tea mixture and vanilla. In a second large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, zest and salt. Stir flour mixture into butter-egg mixture until just combined. Gently stir in blueberries/cranberries.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes. If using large muffin tins bake for 32 minutes.